Career Change Quiz
This Career Change Quiz is designed to serve as a Career Change Self-Assessment.
Rate each of these job or career change reasons (internal and external reasons) on a scale of 1 to 5.
It starts with 1 being “does not apply to me or doesn’t affect me” to 5 being “affects me greatly.”
As you rate your answer from 1 to 5 for each of the items below, write your answer for each item and then add up your score.
- I dread going to work most days.
- I fear for my physical safety in my current job.
- My current job is a threat to my emotional wellbeing.
- My skills are becoming increasingly irrelevant to my job.
- Most days, I am overwhelmed at work.
- My job is boring.
- I can’t move up in my current job/current company.
- I don’t feel appreciated by my co-workers.
- I am not valued as an employee by my supervisor/boss.
- My work environment is dysfunctional.
- Part (or all) of my job requires me to do something I don’t enjoy.
- I make less (on average) than other people who do my job.
- I can’t make much more for the work I do if I keep working here.
- I can’t stand the thought of working here much longer.
- I’m not doing the kind of work I’m passionate about.
- I didn’t see myself working here for this long.
- This job doesn’t fit into the long-range plans I had for myself.
- My company was just bought out (or bought another company).
- I’ve recently gotten a new boss.
- I was asked to take a voluntary pay cut OR my pay was cut.
- Part of my job responsibilities were given to someone else.
- I’m in a dead-end job.
- My industry is going through significant changes and/or is dying.
23-46 points: You’re starting to see reasons to make a change, but there’s no urgency.
47-69 points: Look for opportunities to make little adjustments and see if that helps.
70-92 points: You probably need a change. Start thinking about what you want to do.
93-115 points: This ship is going down! It’s time to take action.
About the Author
Mandy Fard is a Certified Professional Resume Writer (CPRW, CMRW) and Recruiter with decades of experience in assisting job seekers, working directly with employers in multiple industries, and writing proven-effective resumes.
Feel free to connect with Mandy Fard on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/mandyfard/
Please follow Market-Connections Resume Services on LinkedIn: