Active Listening Examples
If you look for active listening examples, you will find it many communication scenarios. Although good communication skills include the ability to share ideas through speaking or writing, listening is a key essential component of good communication.
Below are traits described as active listening examples:
- In order to pay full attention, you must put aside any distracting thoughts. Don’t use the speaker’s turn to prepare your response. If you’re thinking of what you’ll say next, you’re likely to miss what’s being said now.
Give the speaker cues to show that you are listening
- A quick and easy way to communicate that you’re paying attention is to make frequent eye contact and nod when appropriate. This action shows your agreement and makes it clear that you’re engaged in what the speaker’s saying.
- Smiling, laughing and other appropriate expressions are clear responses that will let a person know you really are hearing what’s being said.
Respond to their message
- To make it clear that you’re actively engaged in a conversation, periodically summarize what has been said. Paraphrasing can be particularly useful when someone is sharing personal feelings with you. This way you can be sure that you have a clear understanding.
- Ask questions to clarify points you don’t understand.
- When the speaker is finished, respond accordingly and appropriately, offering your ideas and opinions in response to what he said. While you may not always agree with others, you must still be respectful.
Focus on what the speaker is saying
- Repeat the speaker’s words in your mind to help your mind focus on the meaning and prevent it from drifting off.
About the Author
Mandy Fard is a Certified Professional Resume Writer (CPRW, CMRW) and Recruiter with decades of experience in assisting job seekers, working directly with employers in multiple industries, and writing proven-effective resumes.
Feel free to connect with Mandy Fard on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/mandyfard/
Please follow Market-Connections Resume Services on LinkedIn: