5 Different Types of Fences for Your Yard

If you decide that your yard needs a fence, you’ll quickly realize that you have a lot of different options when it comes to choosing a type of fence. Of course, it goes beyond simply deciding what look you prefer; you also have to think about what kind of purpose it will serve, how much you’re able to spend, what type of fencing other homes in your area have and any homeowner’s association rules that might restrict or dictate the type of materials you use.

Some homeowners have a fence around the pool or their entire backyard for privacy and security. Gardeners typically have a fence to keep animals out. To help you with fence ideas, let’s look at some of the most common types of yard fences.

The “right” fence for you depends on several different factors you’ll need to assess. Start by considering five of the most … Read more

Should You Rent or Buy a House?

Is it better to rent or to buy a home? It’s a tough decision and one that requires careful thought. About 64% of American adults own their own homes, according to a 2019 Statista report,[i] while the remaining 36% rent, notes Pew Research Center.[ii] While more people lean toward buying a home, research shows rental rates are at a 50-year high.[iii]

When it comes to renting vs buying a house, what’s best for you? To help, let’s explore the pros and cons of each choice.

The pros and cons of renting a home

If you’re thinking about renting a home, here are advantages and disadvantages to consider:

Pros of renting a home

  • Move with greater ease. Renting gives you the power to move around more easily because you don’t have to go through the process of selling your home and waiting for potential buyers. Maybe relocation
Read more

Which Type of Business Entity Should You Choose?

When you’re starting a new business, you’ll have to choose the type of business structure that’s right for it. Knowing the differences between the types of structures and what each one has to offer can help you choose the right business entity — a decision that’ll affect your taxes, income and legal liability.[1] When making such a decision, you should always consult your attorney or financial professional.

Common types of businesses

There are five main types of business entities to consider. Let’s take a look at what each one offers and which advantages and disadvantages you need to consider.[2]

Sole proprietorship

A sole proprietorship is a simple and common type of business structure. It’s the easiest type of company to form and is often the right choice for a one-person operation.[3] If you’re going to work alone, this could be the right choice for you.

This … Read more

Nationwide Adding Investments to Fight Racism

Reasserting its commitment to justice and equality, Nationwide is making additional investments to combat racism and promote economic empowerment.  On top of its existing efforts, the company is announcing a $1 million, multi-year commitment to support local and national programs dedicated to fostering social justice.

The multi-year commitment on criminal justice efforts is in addition to Nationwide’s significant and long-held commitments to support diversity initiatives aimed at addressing economic empowerment, education and housing—all core issues at the heart of systemic racism.

“At Nationwide, we believe that racism in any shape or form is unacceptable and runs counter to our core values,” said Kirt Walker, Nationwide Chief Executive Officer. “Today, we are making it clear that we are committed to taking action to promote social equity and justice.”

The company is making an additional $1 million in contributions to social justice organizations, with funds being directed to:

  • The National Association for
Read more

How to Compost at Home

Learning how to compost at home is a great DIY project that can reduce your household’s carbon footprint while improving the health and quality of your yard. Composting can help create stronger, more nutritious soil for gardening, decrease your need for chemical fertilizers that harm the environment and drastically cut back on waste you would normally send to landfills.[1] Getting your own compost bin or pile started at home is simple, and you’ll appreciate its benefits for a long time.

What is compost?

So what is compost exactly? Compost is the product that comes from the controlled decomposition of organic material, or carbon-containing substances. The resulting product is then used to enrich soil.[2]

What to compost

From yard waste to food scraps, here’s a range of everyday materials that can be composted:[1],[2]

  • Coffee grounds and filters
  • Tea and tea bags
  • Fruits and vegetable
Read more