How Your Online Presence Can Impact Your Career
Recruiters and employers alike are looking online more than ever before. Professional networking sites such as LinkedIn continue to grow in popularity when it comes to looking for a job or finding suitable candidates to fill a job.
Furthermore, building a strategic and professional online presence will expand your network beyond the industry or geographical area where you work. Groups online and multiple social media platforms facilitate your interactions with other professionals regardless of region.
With a stronger network in your field, you open yourself up to more job opportunities and visibility in your industry.
So why not create an online personal brand to help advance your career? Creating an online presence can help you stand out from others in your field.
When applying for a higher position, having an online presence shapes what employers see when they look you up online. Curating an online presence shows creativity and gives future employers opportunities to learn about you beyond a resume.
The online persona you present online can be someone’s first impression about you.
Here’s how you can create a captivating online presence:
Introduce yourself, your values, and your skills
- What skills can you offer to companies and teams in the future?
- Why do you enjoy working in your field?
- What motivates you to do what you are doing?
Cater your online presence to your employers
- For example, if you’re a graphic designer, showcase a portfolio of your graphics on a website or social media.
- If you’re a project manager, write case studies about different projects you’ve taken from inception to completion.
- Keep written statistics of the achievements you accomplish at work.
Join communities or websites related to your field
- Actively participate and network at online seminars in your field.
- Find and interact with others in your field on a social media network such as LinkedIn or Twitter.
- Find an online community, such as a LinkedIn group or Facebook group, where you can network with others, offer support, or ask questions
Create content, or personal projects
Add credibility through testimonials or reviews
Everyone who applies for the next job will be submitting a resumé and cover letter. These things can display your skills and work experience, but developing an online presence can also show your personality and values.
By developing an online presence, you have the opportunity to stand out from the rest of the applicants. Future employers can get an insight into your own values, personality, and work ethic – and get to know you on a deeper level than they would just reading your resume.
The work you do to build an online presence will undoubtedly leave a positive impression on future employers and help you advance in your career!
About the Author
Mandy Fard is a Certified Professional Resume Writer (CPRW, CMRW) and Recruiter with decades of experience in assisting job seekers, working directly with employers in multiple industries, and writing proven-effective resumes.
Feel free to connect with Mandy Fard on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/mandyfard/
Follow Market-Connections Resume Services on LinkedIn: